Thursday, January 12, 2012

TMT #2




1. Stopping your dog - what do you prefer? On their feet? On their belly? Some combination?

With Kipp, I'm just happy with a complete stop that he holds for a few seconds at this point...

2. At what point do you start teaching this?

I started when I could get him to comfortably stop for a nano second (hey, it's Kipp)

3. Do you have a favorite dog? I won't tell.

Honestly that would be my dear late Missy dog. Every dog I have in the future is going to have the misfortune of being measured against her. I don't like to compare dogs because they're all individuals, but it's going to happen...

With my current two, Kipp is the favorite. He's very simple in many ways but he wants to work, he tries hard and he's my buddy. We've come to understand each other pretty well.

4. What is the #1 thing a dog can do to push your buttons?

Counter surf/trash raiding are big pet peeves. I can keep things away from the dogs but family members haven't all developed that knack. So Kipp raids the garbage bucket that is set to go to the chickens. Usually I don't mind it, but I do when he then wakes my up three times during the night to go outside because something didn't agree with his tummy.

Barking (or probably yapping) is another huge one. Can't stand unnecessary barking. Barking because someone comes to the door? okay. Barking because there's a squirrel in the tree? Grr...

5. Brrrrr... it's winter. What is your favorite soup recipe?

I love simple Crock Pot Chili for the winter

Cook 2# of stew meat and 1-2 onions in the crockpot on low for 4-6 hours. Then add 2-3 cans of chili beans and 1-2 can of tomatoes and cook for 1-2 hours. Serve with chips and crackers

So simple and very good!

2 comments:

  1. Missy was such a special dog - it has always been so obvious how well loved she was from your posts.

    It's funny how I think pretty much every working dog I have going forward will find themselves compared to Nick to a degree. Maybe for you that will be Missy. I'm Ok with it. ;)

    Oh, yeah, the barking thing makes me crazy. Occasionally Nick will just randomly jump up and let out a bark. Scares me silly, almost makes me wet my pants, and makes me FURIOUS. Yet he somehow manages to maintain favorite status.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot about the barking for no reason - gets to me. Fortunately, the dogs I have now, only bark for a reason and I can tell each voice and each type of bark. They all no "hush" even Pete who is only 5 months old - so that helps.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete